OpenSSH for Windows

Installed OpenSSH for Windows. It is working properly. However, I am not able to access the C:\ directory in SFTP. In S-FTP, I am getting a UNIX-style listing and in S-Shell, I am getting a Windows style listing.
I had installed the SSH for Windows Servers before this. But it is an evaluation version only. However, SSH for servers is better than OpenSSH for windows.
Earlier today, had lunch at Dynasty with Damu. Tried to call up Nikhil but his cell seemed to be out of range.

Updated CS Website

Made some changes to the CS website. Had previously got an email from Web Services regarding the review of the site according to UT templates. Put the orange [#fb7115] line right of the navigation bar. Also changed the para headings to UT orange. The bullet is still red. I am not able to get a good matching bullet for the orange text. Maybe a dark gray [#333333] bullet will work???
Manish and I had another ride tonight in Nikhil’s car. Nice car – smooth and looks good too. Had scanned Atlanta Trip 2 photos earlier today. Cut the photos from the composite scans and organized them. Wrote to CD for Anuj and Nick.

Sunday Night

Watched 2 movies – “The Whole Nine Yards” and “Absolute Power”. Had some pasta. And coke. I have to stop drinking so much coke.
Earlier today; Manish, I and Nikhil had gone to check out the car Nikhil plans to buy. It looked really cool. Seemed like a nice deal. Nikhil is really excited and a bit tensed. He should be ;).
Uploaded final design of foodscience website. Uploaded a couple of pages also. This page took a lot of time. Emailed status report to Dr. Golden.

Sunday Morning

Manish came back at 4:30 AM. He had a nice time at Liquid Knoxville. His experiences can’t be mentioned here 😉 – censored stuff!!!. Damu and Nikhil were also with him.
Rang up bS. Talked for 1 hour 24 mins. That’s a long long time in fact :). Well, it was morning when I finally put down the phone ;). Catching up with old times, I guess… And I sure do miss home.
FTP access to foodsafe website is not working. I was planning to update the database structure. Will try again tomorrow. Have to catch a wink now. Have a busy day ahead. Lots to do!

Movies and phone calls.

Watched 2 movies – “Encounters of the Third Kind” and “A Few Good Men”. Also called up Tamo and home also. I think the India Tele-Bridge calling card is not so good. Seems to be having less talk time than indicated. Also the call quality is not that clear. Talked with Mama, Cheche Naobi and Baba. Dada was not at home at that time.

Port forwarding, kazaa and usenet

Learnt how to configure 2 webservers on my DI-614+ router. Got the answer here. I did try with a different port number before but I had set up the port number on the DI-614+ only and not on the webserver itself. Right now, http://160.36.224.89/ links to Manish’s PC and http://160.36.224.89:81/ links to mine. Most probably, these links will not work later because I will be making several changes.
Also installed Kazaa again. It is still not working. I configured it for the DI-614+. More info is here. But still downloads are really bad.
Also tested UseNet. Tried in Outlook Express and also downloaded some readers. For most groups, http://groups.google.com/ works fine. Also, found out that news server for UT is news.utk.edu and that most binary files on usenet groups don’t work. Maybe I am missing something here. Configuration settings?

Installed Lotus Notes

Installed Lotus Notes client. Could not login into the UTIA network initially because I did not have the user.id file. Emailed Dr. Dearden and he emailed my user.id file to me almost immediately. Tried again with the new user.id file and it is working properly. Tested notes-encypted messages but they can’t be read in Outlook Express. Changed display name and also tried to connect to UT Lotus Notes server. For some reason, I am not able to view the UT database.

Shifted blog to CS server

After a few trials and errors I have shifted the blog files to the my CS webspace.
It is working fine except that it seems to be much slower here. Most probably it is slow because I am keeping the MySQL database on the www.elangbam.com server. Maybe I should shift over to Berkeley DB and keep the files on my CS webspace instead.
Another thing I learnt is that to change the file permissions of all files in a directory, I should use:
UNIX> chmod -R 755 docs
[This will change the permissions of files in the “docs” directory to 755].
I know this seems pretty elementary but well I did not know :(. Anyway, SSH by default keeps the file permissions to 644 [at least on the CS server]. All these days, I have been going into the directories and manually changing the file permissions!!! I did write a Perl script sometime to do this, but it did not work properly always. Anyway, the Perl script might come in handy if the owner of the directory is “nobody” [happens sometimes for auto-generated files] or if Shell access is not there [for example, in cases of shared hosting where only FTP and cgi-bin access is given]