UT DSL changes to DHCP

UT DSL changed to DHCP from static IP allocation today. The change came into effect at 8 AM and for some time the DHCP system was not working properly. Called help desk but did not get a lot of useful info. At around 9:30 AM, the dynamic IPs got allocated properly and the connection was fine after that. It however took some time to register myself on UTK Netreg and install the service packs for Windows Xp. Configuring the router took another one and a half hour or so. My router (Dlink 614+) currently clones the MAC address of my PC’s ethernet card. That way, the UT DSL network thinks that my computer is connected to it when in reality the router is the one connected to it.
Later I found that I could also connect to the network using the MAC address of the inbuilt ethernet card of the router. But that would mean that I would have to change the setup all over again.
My IP currently is: and the hostname is: maisnam.dsl.utk.edu .One nice thing about having a constant hostname is that I do not have to worry about the dynamically allocated IPs. I use the maisnam.dsl.utk.edu hostname as the CNAME for my us.maisnam.com subdomain. I did register a DynDns hostname (maisnam.dyndns.org) but I don’t think that I will be using it at all. I am keeping the dyndns.org hostname as a backup – just in case.

1 thought on “UT DSL changes to DHCP”

Leave a Comment

Please answer question below to verify that you are a real person *